Official Bass Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 19, 2012.

1. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I was wondering if/when someone was going to do a Dr. Cossack skin. It looks good! :D I suppose he can go either way with regard to which "side" he's on (i.e., Mega Man or Bass), but considering he features most prominently as a villain, the "evil" side makes the most sense. :)

Another alternative is editing the Break Dash sprites from MMV (for GB). They might be a bit more flexible in terms of showing the "bulk." Here's a sprite to work from that has the spark animations removed for easier editing:

[​IMG]

Feel free to play around with that and see if you can do something with it. If not, though, the current dash sprite does look fine.

I think it's great that changing weapons is an option, but if nothing immediately stands out, I'd recommend leaving the weapons alone. Considering you're still in the Mega Man universe with Quick Man, it's not too difficult to come up with a scenario in which Quick Man has obtained all these weapons. I think changing the weapons is more useful for either characters who aren't normally found in combat situations in the series (such as Roll) or for complete edits of original characters who really ought to have their own weapons (such as Stinkoman).

2. nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

I think it looks bulky enough as is. Anyone who says different is nitpicking...like REALLY nitpicking.

3. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

It's true, it does look fine. It is just a matter of those little details, though, that can make the difference between a great skin and a perfect skin. :)

TheomanZero, Rey D and uglyrodent like this.
  4. nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

People who believe in perfection make me SICK ...to an extent.
    <_<
    >_>
    Shut up, I'm not a psychotic fascist.

sbq92 likes this.
  5. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I know what you're saying, but when you're making something that a lot of people are going to see, it's worth the extra bit of effort to make sure it looks as good as possible. Remember: in a sense, making these skins is contributing to the overall development of SMBC, an amazing game. We shouldn't want to submit anything less than perfection. :)

Rey D, ThomasMink and uglyrodent like this.
  6. ThomasMink Level 6: Lakitu

Want to know the extent of my perfectionism? Well.. look at the second WIP I posted here in the Bass thread. Saving it to your computer will help with this. Zoom in on it and look around. Notice any problems? No? I didn't either. Zoom in further and take a look at the sprites of Quick Man flying with the propeller on his back.
    No, you're not seeing things. The shades of yellow are two different colors. You have no idea how much that was bugging me after I saw it. I repainted every sprite to make sure they were all uniform, haha.. and in doing so, I also discovered two different colors for his face. (guess the sheet I was using for the Quick Man sprites has some almost unnoticeable flaws)

Either way.. I'm the one who originally said the dash sprite was bad. It's really not, but I'll see what I can do with the sprite provided by sbq92 above and compare it to what is there already.

sbq92 likes this.
  7. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I do this all the time! If you look at the skin sheets I've posted on the wiki for Mega Man and Bass, you'll notice I've posted a bunch of the sheets several times. That's because I keep finding a whole lot of very similar colors that I like to make uniform. It's nitpicking, but I think those sorts of details are important. :)

Just think: if Jay and Zach didn't pay attention to minor details, what kind of game would SMBC be? :)

8. nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

You come off as arrogant to me. I'm not exactly sure why.

9. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I do? Or generally people who seek perfection in what they do?

10. nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

I think it's your overuse of that smiley. You make me wanna punch him in his 8-bit mouth, and that's not fair. He's just sitting there being happy then my fist comes out of nowhere and ruins his day. He has to go back to his smiley wife unable to satisfy her because he feels weak and defenseless...and can't get it up, and it's all your fault!...Wait, what the hell am I talking about?

uglyrodent, silentshadowxp and sbq92 like this.
  11. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Haha! Perhaps I overuse smileys... I tend to use them if it looks like what I'm saying might come across wrong, or if I am simply being friendly. I suppose the general tone of a skin sheet thread is pretty light anyway, though, so perhaps the smileys are a bit excessive.

12. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

This made my day XD

13. ThomasMink Level 6: Lakitu

After tinkering for a bit, I find the pose of that sprite extremely awkward for Quick Man. Getting him to look decent was feeling like more trouble than it was worth.

So instead of spending more time with it, I figured I'd go and brush up the sprite that was already there. Came up with this:
    [​IMG]
    (sized 400% larger and with a blue background.. both to make things easier to see)

The goal was to make as much of the chest visible as possible without interfering with the location of the frontmost leg. The weird, black bump is a strange situation where three black outlines merge into nearly the same location. If I color any of them differently, everything looks fine.. so I decided I'm fine with it.

TheomanZero, sbq92 and silentshadowxp like this.
  14. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Looks great! Was this the final element of your sheet?

15. Zarran Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I've finished Dr. Cossack.
    Dr Cossack.png

16. nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

Holy shit, it's Gordon Freeman!

17. TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Heh . . . I like the Treble Boost.

18. ThomasMink Level 6: Lakitu

I am hoping it was. The sheet was uploaded to the wiki shortly after making my previous post.
    That looks fantastic!

19. Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

Hah!
    *silence*
    Am I the only one who got this??

20. nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

Right? I know we're all retro Nintendo gamers here, but I'd think you'd all be familiar with Half-Life.