Request Donkey Kong Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by ROFL_N00B, Feb 22, 2012.

?

Do you want Donkey Kong as a playable character in SMBC?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. ROFL_N00B Level 1: Goomba

I think that Donkey Kong should be in SMBC. His Moveset would be that from the Donkey Kong country series which would be, Running: Not sure how fast but probably close to Luigi's.
    (T)Rolling: Defeats Goombas, Koopas, Paratroopas, and Hammer bros in one hit, moves faster than running, and allows for a mid-air jump it also serves in the same light as Bass as it makes his jump higher and faster. Jumping(Duh): The only additional thing to mention here is that Donkey Kong should be able to stomp enemies.
    Powerups
    As far as powerups go Donkey kong Country doesn't have many, (Unless you count animal buddies which I'm not because that would break the game in both ways. Like having a beached enguarde or Rambi the invincible( In this case)and Squawks the level skipper. Yes there are more animal buddies than that but those would be the main ones that would cause problems. Anyway my idea for powerups are.
    Mushroom: Gives Donkey Kong the assistance of Diddy Kong which you can throw upwards for extra jump height and tag with. If you get hit with Donkey Kong you will play as Diddy Kong and get Donkey Kong from a barrel and vice versa. Ponytail(Not sure what to call it) Replaces Diddy Kong with Dixie Kong who can glide.If you get hit with Donkey Kong while you have Dixie Kong she will turn back into Diddy Kong. Barrels:If you have Ponytails and you hit an item box you will get a barrel that you can throw at enemies. You can also get them from enemies.So basically Donkey kong is like a souped up version of Mario. Also about skins, I believe that he used some custom skins for SMBC 2.0 so maybe he could use that for the 8-bit version of Donkey Kong

2. 1337star Level 2: Koopa

Problem: Donkey Kong would not look good in the game. At all. At least not his default SNES sprites. And his Game Boy sprites aren't that much better.

Even disregarding that, I don't really think he'd be that interesting of a character, no offense. He's Mario that can throw stuff.

3. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

As sad as it is to hear me say this about one of my favorite SNES characters, I actually thought the exact same thing when I was considering DK as a playable character, except he also has the ability to roll into certain enemies. Also, if Mario ever gains the ability to hold turtle shells (as seems to be hinted at in his skin template), it would really just be his roll that makes him different from Mario.

As for how the character could work, I would say to just forget Dixie and make him completely based off of the first DKC. Mushroom acts like a DK Barrel, allowing Diddy to tag along (who is slightly faster). You could switch between the two at will, and if one gets hit you switch to the other. And then once you have both Kongs, barrels start coming out in place of power-ups. Barrels break after hitting one enemy, but you can occasionally get a metal keg that goes through multiple enemies. Alternately, he could also possibly pick up and throw shells. He can jump on all the things mario can, and he can also roll/cartwheel through enemies that aren't shielded or spiked.

But as nostalgic as he is for me, I still think he's too similar in playstyle to be added as a character. I definitely wouldn't mind a skin of DKC levels though, that would be pretty sweet. I think that was always my favorite thing about DKC anyways.

4. throwaway Level 0: Newbie

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I figured it was probably better than making a new one.

Anyway! I was a little surprised at the new trailer's lack of any DKC representation.

It's likely too late to consider anyone new, but for the sake of discussion, I really think Diddy works out perfectly for a game like this. It might initially seem a little odd to go with him over Donkey Kong, but Diddy better represents the Country/Land franchise, as opposed to Donkey, who represents EVERYTHING he's in.
    After all, Donkey Kong Country 2 tends to be the most remembered game of the series. Nintendo officially sticks to the first for references and callbacks, but the second's what seems to get all the love and nostalgia.

As for powerups, all DKC games have are the Tag Team barrels, and that sounds like a great thing. It seems fair to just strand him with only the ability to recover Dixie, or vice versa.

Sure, you had the rare case of Animal Buddies, but generally speaking, the lack of other power-ups actually defines the gameplay pretty well. Mario's mid-level perks gave a sense of exploration. Donkey Kong's lack of anything but restoring your friend gave more of a journeying sense.
    Putting both in the same game would have some awesome variations.

I also happen to be in the camp of thinking Land sprites would be suiting enough. It'd stand out without being an eyesore.

5. Fantasy_Zone Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

You know who would make an interesting addition to the game as both a playable character and new skin? Donkey Kong from the arcade game series. Donkey Kong Jr. is also acceptable. He could toss barrels at enemies and smash them with his fists (I imagine he would be a good skin for Simon Belmont since those two actions work well with Alex).

Just a thought.

6. aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser

A new DK request was made so I merged it into the existing DK thread

7. Fantasy_Zone Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Thanks for merging my thread. I didn't notice the existing one.

8. Greymon57 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I agree that Rare's DK would not fit for many visual reasons. As for as attacks, I feel he would have a great advantage. Since he can defeat anyone by simply rolling into them. That is, as long as they are not armored. It would be interesting, if they could get over the visual problem.

The 8 bit Arcade DK & DK jr. fit visually, but DK would be too big, and jr wouldn't have any form of attacking other than tossing fruit. I guess Jr. could be made a skin for mario, as long as the mushroom doens't make him taller.

Mitewing likes this.
  9. Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu