Let’s Play Zelda: Parallel Worlds – Part 7

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit (General)' started by Jay, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Jay Level 13: ER Team

Media:
  2. Hikari no Kaze Level 2: Koopa

Wow. These last two videos have honestly been kind of depressing. I really hope the next game you LP isn't as infuriating, for all of our sakes. While there were some funny moments, the game's weaknesses really shine through: even though we aren't really being subjected to them, we feel them indirectly through your obvious pain. Terrible, terrible backtracking-and-fruitless-exploration-induced pain.

Hopefully, once this game is out of your system (and probably once SMBCv2 has been released), you'll be able to let's play a more entertaining game! Still, thanks for all the funny moments that you brought us, despite your suffering. You're one of the funniest people to watch, so I'm sure that whatever the future brings will be great. :)

Rey D likes this.
  3. money grip Level 2: Koopa

heh.

i know it's hard to trash someone's work, especially when you've put so much labor into SMBC, but this hack is absurd.

re: spending 5 years to make something, james joyce, over the course of about 10 years, wrote 2 timelessly genius novels and 1 perfect set of short stories that gets read in every short story and/or modern lit class. after that, he spent 17 years writing a piece of shit called "finnegans wake" that's written in an illegible pun language. he may very well have worked harder those 17 years, and even loved what he made more. however, it remains a piece of shit. this parallel worlds hack is, sadly, also obviously a piece of shit.

regardless, thanks for making another let's play video. it was funny (and ended at the right time). elementia was much better though; frustration is funny, but the goodness of that hack helped your commentary i think.

4. Franpa Level 3: Paratroopa

Well 2 guys worked on the hack, one worked on the overworld/story and hired another to make the dungeons (He too was a little disappointed about how the dungeons turned out). As for those purple knights that jump around the place in formation, I don't believe you tried every item in your inventory. Some enemies are extremely susceptible to certain attacks.

Anyways yeah you seem to have had enough of it lol I'll concede you should probably give up on it, at least for now.

5. Rey D Level 11: Moderator

→ You're a bit hard with that. It's not THAT bad. The level design is not great and there's big lack of information to help you know where to go, but otherwise this game is interesting.

Anyway, like last time:
    "Oh really? -Yeah on a boat."
    "Oh cool another place I can't go. I love it! I love it!"
    "Good job! ...Ow! Bad job!"
    The spike blocks were saying ← ↓ ← , right?
    I wonder... what was going through their mind when they programmed this part.

-The game
    -Jay
    -Me

Mario-Fan likes this.
  6. Franpa Level 3: Paratroopa

Like I said, the overworld and dungeons* (* Including the Guardhouse at the start) are done by 2 different guys, if you pay attention you'll notice the overworld is actually pretty well designed though lacking in information to guide the player. Dungeons aren't anywhere near as well designed as the overworld, there are some nifty ideas and tricks in them but they aren't very well executed.

7. Mario-Fan Level 11: Moderator

Exactly. How the heck didn't he notice that?
    Also, for your next game, would you like to try Super Mario 63?

8. money grip Level 2: Koopa

eh, i think it's pretty fair to say that the game relies heavily on backtracking and confusion, which is not good game design.

regardless, i want to point out that zelda's not a great candidate for "let's play" in the first place, unless the player is pretty familiar with the puzzles / game progression and is engaging enough for it not to be boring that they already know how to solve the puzzle.

i mean, imagine "let's play lemmings."

narrator: "hmmm... what the fuck do i do? maybe i'll use a climber. huh..." [game is paused for a full 5 minutes] "i should try some blockers..." [narrator tries a failed strategy; takes 10 minutes]. "shit, what do i do..."

elementia was a perfect game for let's play. super mario crossover is too, actually. hopefully jay will find a good fit if he does another one.

9. Franpa Level 3: Paratroopa

You mean something like this? (Shameless plug) I was thinking of recording an entire play through of this game after seeing Jay's first segment of his Lets Play and that right there is the first segment of my playthrough. I find the sound of my voice isn't very good/clear so I might end up adding annotations to the videos rather then speaking over the game. (Or just not add anything to the videos except in the description under them...)

You'll notice once I enter the Guardhouse I changed some settings in the emulator, first I switched from a 5:4 aspect ratio to a 4:3 ratio and then I turned off the HQ4x video filter. If you prefer the filter staying on I can leave it on as I prefer it turned on, I only turned it off as I realize some people won't like how it makes stuff appear.

I don't intend to detract from Jay's work with my post here, if he thinks it does then feel free to either move my post to a separate thread or delete it all together.

10. BassWins Level 6: Lakitu

...or maybe SMBc v2.0 would work for his next LP, and yes, I know he did v1.0/v1.1 (Swiched half way through). Because, the game is ALOT different now.... I don't know, just an idea.

Rey D likes this.
  11. Franpa Level 3: Paratroopa

I... just... what? I don't even...

Okay so I take it back, I am completely no longer angry or annoyed with you ending your run here. Just be thankful you never encountered the 2nd dungeon :O as it has an early miniboss that is just insane and it respawns if you die in the dungeon and resume! I had to rely heavily on save states for that section of the dungeon... and I have to go through it again to reach the boss.

12. Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Can someone link to the ROM? Not just a patch, I seem to have zero luck patching shit. :(

I gotta try this for myself.

13. Mario-Fan Level 11: Moderator

It's on Vizzed.

14. Franpa Level 3: Paratroopa

No one can link to the ROM as it contains code and assets copyrighted by Nintendo, the patch it self however does not.

15. Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Private message then? :p

edit: Wait, wait. We're going to argue the copyright thing on a forum for a game that uses copyrights from about three dozen different games... okay then. That makes total sense.

16. aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser

"code and assets copyrighted by Nintendo"

So? There's no problem with this.

17. Franpa Level 3: Paratroopa

If you think cease and desist letters are shinies you need to hunt down and "collect 'em all!" then yes, you're correct that it doesn't matter and that there is no problem with distributing copyrighted materials illegally.

Would you want to make this place a hot spot for people to download Nintendo property and attract Nintendo's attention to this website?

18. Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Just curious, but what game exactly does this site host again? I seem to have forgotten!

19. aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser

I haven't seen a single website that specifically hosted roms - as in, they were uploaded directly to the website, a website dedicated to serving copyrighted material freely - get shut down or attacked in any way. The worst I've ever seen happen is that the website has a few rom pages which are now dead-ends.

Nobody will come to this place, of all places, to try to take down a link a user posted if they're not even looking at the rom hosting websites!

20. Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

All right, so with that out of the way, would someone mind please linking to the prepatched .SMC rom for me instead of arguing? That'd really be great.