Let's Play 'The Tale of Elementia' - Part 1

Discussion in 'General Exploding Rabbit' started by Exploding Rabbit, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Exploding Rabbit Level 13: ER Team
    Staff Member

2. Ganymede Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

This is every bit as entertaining as I imagined it to be! There was never a time when I was bored or disinterested, and it was fun to watch you lose your patience a little with that huge chunk of backstory. Something else you managed, that not a lot of LPers can pull off, for some reason, is actual engaging line reads. A lot of people would have read the initial lines in monotone, or just skimmed over them completely, but you were really enjoying yourself and it carried over to me as the viewer. I think that if your other LP videos are up to snuff with this one, as I'm sure they will be, you're more or less set.

3. 狂人さん Level 9: Spike Top

Jay, you are by far my most favorite LPer, watching you play video games is awesome. it's.... LP videos are like preschool, where the teachers read to the class. there are some teachers that just read the book and show the pictures. and then there are others that alter their voices.... and then there are other ones that ad lib (improv) and add to the story and make it even better than the book was.... I guess what i'm trying to say is.... you're the teacher that goes a step even beyond the last teacher. and because of that, you're LP videos are highly engaging. thanks for creating this. and this game was a wonderful choice, although it's not one I've finished. it's a wonderful great game. great videos. it shocks me that I can still say this. but they keep on getting better.

AMAZING!!!

4. DeviantDiscordian Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

I concur with what both Ganymede and kyoo have said. You're an awesome LP'er and that looks like an interesting game. I'll probably hunt it down at some point.

5. Ravior Level 8: Hammer Bro

Thanks for finding this, Jay. I'm going to download it soon. :)

Um, where can I find this?

6. Dinospy_01 Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

Wow, that was awesome. That looks like a great game. The four spirits gave me an old Final Fantasy kind of feel.

Great video, they're alway entertaining!

7. Ganymede Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

I forgot to mention earlier, but major kudos on getting so far under crappy framerate conditions.

8. Ravior Level 8: Hammer Bro

Playing this right now. Pretty spectacular, especially with the music.

9. 狂人さん Level 9: Spike Top

i love how you yell shut up at the horizontal flying green turtles. is it the rage of them only existing in one level. making you create them for one level? is a subconscious thing? I'm probably looking way to deep into it. it seems i do that often. look too deep into things

I love it :D

10. DiamondJ15 Level 0: Newbie

Could anyone tell me what emulator i can play this on? the ones i have arent working

11. 狂人さん Level 9: Spike Top

Bsnes is a good one, it's not user friendly though. it's probably one of the hardest emulators to get along with, especialy if you have a really slow computer.

it also should work on the most recent version of ZSNES, and that emulator is a lot more user friendly. although on some games (very little ammount like 3 of them) the timing is a bit off. ...

but yeah. I'd try the BSNES

Bsnes. can be found at byuu.org

znes can be found at zsnes.com

hope I've helped at least a little bit. again, BSNES is not user friendly, i suggest if you don't know what you're doing, don't do anything on that emulator other than playing games. because you can run the emulator useless with it's options (i've done it several times over when I was experimenting with the changes)

again, hope I helped. this is a great game :D

12. Supertails Level 0: Newbie

Hey guys - I'm the creator of Elementia, and I'm honored that you're playing this, Exploding Rabbit. Really enjoyed your commentary, and I'm looking forward to it if you plan to continue (no pressure though :p).

With compatibility, as it's been mentioned, BSNES works well. I'd also recommend ZSNES 1.51, which is the emulator I used to test the hack. Trying not to advertise, though if you want to give it a try, you can download it here. The hack is in IPS format, so you'll need to download a clean Super Mario World ROM (Google search) then apply it using Lunar IPS.

As for the hack itself, it's a little over a year old, so I apologize in advance for any glitches or weirdness. The opening story is a little long-winded I'll admit, though it pretty much stops there. There were a couple comments on YT about the Waluigi color when you got the shine: that was actually a feature I planned to include, where you get that as a new, optional "costume" but it didn't quite work. It's also true that the hack stops at the second demo because of technical issues, though I've been working on a little something else for the last year and a half.

There are a lot of other great SMW hacks out there, if anyone here wants to give them a try. A few I'd recommend are Mario's Keytastrophe, The Second Reality Project Reloaded, and SMW2+3: The Essence Star.

But yeah, thanks again. Sometimes I just randomly check to see if there are any new videos of my hack being played: imagine the surprise of seeing this come up!

13. 狂人さん Level 9: Spike Top

thanks supertails for making this hack. it's a wonderful hack. and sorry to complain, but WWWAAAAAAAAaAAAaaaAaAA I wanna see the next video *cries like my 3 year old daughter* (her cries are more like sorrow filled screams)

14. Exploding Rabbit Level 13: ER Team
    Staff Member

Whoa, I didn't expect the creator of the game to be watching my stupid videos! Supertails, you did an awesome job on this hack. It's really fun! I ended up having to play it twice because of recording problems, and both times I enjoyed it quite a bit. Many times in the videos I'll say "I fucking hate this game" or something like that, but I don't actually mean that. I say the same thing when I'm talking about my game. So yeah, amazing job on this game, and I look forward to whatever your next project is.
    I wish you could see the next video too. Machinima is slow as shit at posting videos, but at least it gets me more views and a little money. I hope in the future my videos can be hosted somewhere better.

15. 狂人さん Level 9: Spike Top

I felt it was this, but i just felt like complaining, to show that i deeply desired to watch the next one :p

16. JayPavlinaFTW Level 2: Koopa

Hey. I wanted to play and I followed the instructions, but when I start, I get Mario in the desert world and when I press any button, he's on a plane?!?!?! Is that normal?!

Edit: I finished the level and i was stuck again. Just outside the haunted house. Please help!

Edit 2: Nvm I did something wrong. Dunno wut.

17. roman6a Level 8: Hammer Bro

im just ending the haunted house the boss there is terrible hard but the music is awesome!

18. money grip Level 1: Goomba

@jay, i hope the full elementia playthrough gets posted, your commentary is very entertaining. i'd watch other LP videos if you made more. would be particularly interesting if you keep doing hacks and independent games.

@supertails, jay's video spurred me on to dl the tale of elementia demo2, and i loved it! i just now completed everything, and found the whole game to be satisfying (also, i played on zsnes on vista and didn't experience a single glitch). great music, interesting levels, decently challenging gameplay, very good. thanks for making it!

and since this is my first post on these forums, thanks jay for continued great work on super mario crossover. i pulled my hair out beating survival + all hammer bros. on normal difficulty. considering trying angry hammer bros. on hardest, but the thought makes me go fetal at present.

edit: well look at that, a forum that uses raw html. it's not just the games that are nostalgic.

19. Captain Knight Level 9: Spike Top

It's about damn time I start watching this LP
    :-P

Edit : You have the best Peach impression EVAR!!!

20. Jamsock Master Level 0: Newbie

Hey Jay I Cant Get It TO install please can you help me?