Official Link & LoZ Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Exploding Rabbit, Jan 25, 2011.

1. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Sorry for the double post, but I figured this was worth it. I've worked a bit more with the Zelda 1 skin I was working on, taking some inspiration from StickMan and sbq92, and I came up with this:

world11.png

I'm still deciding on whether or not to keep the little tree, because it may make some players think they can jump on it like the new pipes. I also put what I plan on being the big castle in the place of the little castle, just so I could see how it looked. I'll still use the steps for the little castle.

I think it all actually looks pretty good. As for other themes, I've put together several more (simple recolors of the other skins I showed before), but I have to work on putting them all on one sheet.
  2. TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Hey, that's not bad!
    Although it does demonstrate how top-down tiles really don't look as good in a sidescrolling perspective.
    uglyrodent likes this.
  3. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Here are the map and theme skins:
    Zelda Map Skin.png

Zelda Theme Skin.png

And here are the backgrounds
    - For the first three themes in row 1 [overworld]:
    Background 1 - Overworld 1.png

- For the fourth theme in row 1 [overworld]:
    Background 2 - Overworld 2.png

- For the first theme in row 2 (it animates) [underground]:
    Background 3 - Underground 1.png Background 4 - Underground 2.png

The rest of the themes use a plain black background.

I'll let Jay and Ryuza choose which themes go with which levels.
    sbq92 and Rey D like this.
  4. TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, I guess maybe touch up the bushes so they're flatter on the bottom, and adjust the edges of the ground blocks so they fit together better? Also, I don't think the ground color from Zelda works very well for the sky.
    (Though I do want to say that you did a spot-on job of making an SMB skin out of Zelda tiles.)
  5. ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I disagree about the sky color. I think it works very well.
  6. Rey D Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought I'd post this here to show the 8-bit'ed portrait. After all, I'm not in right to post without the consent of the one who had the idea of the skin:
    Crystalis_skin.png

What I mean is that I don't know if silentshadowxp will like it.
    By the way I erased a purple pixel which was between two burts.
  7. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

I like it! Feel free to post it, I don't mind. I would, but I'm about to eat dinner lol.
  8. Rey D Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

I did. This jump sprite still need to be fixed. I'll see around when I'll feel free enough to do it.
  9. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Ok, thanks!
  10. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Here's an update for the Bunny Link. I messaged Ryuza to see if he could send me the LttP Link skin so I can just copy and paste stuff over, so all that's really left is a portrait and that darn jump sprite lol. If anyone is up for working on those then feel free.

Bunny Link.png
    nickreaper, uglyrodent and ThomasMink like this.
  11. aliceandsven Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

You could probably get away with leaving the jump sprite out. Just because there are extra frames for animation doesn't mean you have to use them (I think)
  12. Rey D Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

→ Well he was supposed to ask Jay about a release of all currently in-game skin templates.

→ Well Link currently uses this sprite. For his jump. ^^"
  13. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Well, I decided to cheat with the Jump sprite again, and just rotated one of the other sprites. Someone else can change it if they like, or if it doesn't work well for the game I'm sure Ryuza could edit it a little. So that pretty much means I'm just waiting for the LttP skin to be released and I need to get the portrait taken care of. I found some funny art of it, but had a hard time shrinking it down. I'll keep looking though.
    Bunny Link.png
    ChozoBoy likes this.
  14. Rey D Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

It was annoying because I don't know how to move just one thing in Paint.NET, but I made it:
    Bunny Link.png
  15. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

lol, Paint.NET can be annoying, but it's a pretty sweet program. I love that I can just hit a key on my laptop's keyboard if I want a different tool. I get so frustrated going back to MS Paint for something just to find out I can't do that. XD

Thing about that is, unlike the Ryu to Haggle Man jump difference, the two jumping sprites used for Link are rotated 180 degrees rather than being four separate sprites. So if I were to simply put the same jump sprite for both, he'd have two sprites in his jump animation where he'd randomly be upside down.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, and I'm not sure if that's one of those things that they can tweak (like Proto Man's buster), so it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Rey D likes this.
  16. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Sorry for double post, but thanks to Ryuza, all this needs is a portrait!
    Bunny Link.png
    ThomasMink likes this.
  17. nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

Wait, so we all use Paint.NET? For some reason I thought everyone but me had Adobe After Effects Pro, or something else that inexplicably costs $800.
    silentshadowxp likes this.
  18. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Tough to get the hang of, but once you do and learn all the shortcuts it's amazing for sprite work.
  19. coolman Level 5: Spiny

Me,I use simply the normal paint of windows XP.Thats not the best logicial of the world,but,I don't know,I'm good with it.
  20. silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Don't get me wrong, I used to love MS Paint, but they ruined it on Windows Vista...

Besides, Paint.NET is free and allows you to do the transparency these skins need.