Sega Skins Discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Mitewing, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I had this idea when I saw the Ryu skins on the Wiki for Sega Systems. All of the non-Nintendo series represented in SMBC so far has at least one game on a Sega system. I think skins should be made for these characters. There should be divided accordingly Sega Master System, Genesis, and Game Gear. For those characters not appearing on a particular system, custom sprites could be made in that system's style. So who's up for the challenge I've proposed?
    aliceandsven likes this.
  2. TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Interesting . . . but my one concern is that most of the Genesis sprites would be too big. We could re-shade Game Gear or Master System sprites with Genesis colors (like some of the SNES skins), but I think not as many characters have 8-bit Sega Sprites as 16.
    That said, Mega Man's Game Gear and Genesis sprites should work just fine.
  3. Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Customization and/or resizing would be needed for most I believe. The Genesis sprites for Mega Man are also on the Wiki. Most of the characters are on Genesis so simplifying to 8bit would be necessary.
  4. TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Mainly I'm concerned about the resizing. Shrinking a sprite without it becoming completely indistinct is pretty hard, even with rotsprite.
  5. Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I don't know about spriting so I didn't if custom sprites would be possible for resizing or not.

Here are the games I'm aware of:
    Blaster Master 2 (GEN)
    Castlevania: Bloodlines (GEN)
    Contra: Hard Corps/Probotector (GEN)
    Mega Man: The Wily Wars (GEN)
    Mega Man (GG)
    Ninja Gaiden (SMS, GG)
  6. TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I don't mean to be a naysayer. I'm just saying that it might be hard.
  7. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Sprite size is a definite problem. The reason Wily Wars Mega Man wasn't used is because the sprite is quite a bit larger than the NES Mega Man, and for hit boxes purposes, that is a problem. That doesn't mean WW skins can't work at all, but it might be better to wait until customizable hit boxes are established. As a side note about Mega Man, I really don't like his Game Gear sprites. I think they actually look pretty terrible (like slightly modified, poorly shaded NES sprites), and since our goal isn't exactly to make sure we represent every available system, I'm not sure I'd be inclined to include the GG sprites. If a lot of people are adamant that they go in the game, it's not really any trouble to include them so I may relent, but I really just don't like them, so I'd rather not put them in if I don't have to.

Also, the characters from Blaster Master 2, Castlevania: Bloodlines, and Contra: Hard Corps all have the same problem: the sprites are simply too large. Unless they can be well-edited to fit inside the current boxes, they won't actually work.
    Mitewing likes this.
  8. MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Wait wait wait. Let me get this straight;
    what.png
    Lilfut, aliceandsven and Mitewing like this.
  9. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Apparently. That's what Zach told me at one point. I'm not sure why such a small Ryu (and Bill) was permitted and not a larger Mega Man, but I guess that's how it goes. I guess SNES and GB Samus are a fair bit larger than NES Samus, too. Huh. Interesting.
    aliceandsven and Mitewing like this.
  10. aliceandsven Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

Yeah I agree I've had a problem with Samus' skins since 2.0 first hit. It's not a big deal but it's really strange seeing her head stick into low ceilings. I think different sized sprites are OK as long as eventually there's some kind of hitbox tweak system, and you make sure that bigger sprites don't have wonky clipping issues. I don't know how the SNES samus issue can ever be rectified... and her gameboy advance skins are only a few pixels shorter.
  11. VirtualSonic43 Level 9: Spike Top

My only suggestion for a TRUE Sega Skin,is Ristar over Simon. We can use the Master System/Game Gear Sprite Sheet.
  12. VirtualSonic43 Level 9: Spike Top

Okay,so,I gotta 'nother idea for a Sega Skin. If it's possible to change the speed for characters,I'd say Amy Rose over Ryu. The Hammer would go over the Sword of course. And it would provide some unique gameplay. Somewhat. It'll make her look original. I know most of you guys may hate her. But I don't care. This can be somewhat of how Amy will play in Mario & Sonic At The Mushroom World. What do ya think guys?
  13. MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

That's not the point. The point is Sega sprites of the same character.
    Mitewing likes this.
  14. Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Exactly. Thank you. This is why I began the thread.
    TheomanZero likes this.
  15. VirtualSonic43 Level 9: Spike Top

That's what I was going for. Amy,over,Ryu.
  16. MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Amy is not Ryu. Thus, this is not the point.
    Mitewing likes this.
  17. VirtualSonic43 Level 9: Spike Top

Well neither is Shinobi but nobody has compla-WAIT. I see the point of this,Sega versions of the actual Nintendo Characters,sorta makes sense.
  18. Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Rey D showed on the Ryu skins thread it is possible to resize sprites, so my idea is possible if that is done. Although Rey D also said it was difficult to do so. Regarding characters that only appeared on one system, it would also be possible to create custom sprites for the other consoles.
  19. Jowee the Raposa Level 2: Koopa

Super Mario World (GEN) (Pirate)
  20. VirtualSonic43 Level 9: Spike Top

Aren't those just SMW Sprites but recolored a bit for the Genesis palette? There's MMX3 Pirate out there as well but I doubt that'd work over Mega Man.
    MissingNo2 likes this.