Should Zero be in SMBC?

Discussion in 'Characters' started by c2456, Jan 6, 2011.

1. c2456 Level 6: Lakitu

Share your opinion here.

2. Kirby Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

yeah, this is one of the cahracters i want in game. id say number 10 on my list. he he... number 10

3. Please Level 8: Hammer Bro

Any 8 bit sprites? If not, then no; if so then, yea, whatever.

4. aliceandsven Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

Only the 16-bit original zero, and he'd probably be better in the 16-bit crossover if there is one

Eric Thorstad likes this.
  5. Please Level 8: Hammer Bro

6. SMBC is cool Level 3: Paratroopa

7. Please Level 8: Hammer Bro

Don't double post, especially if it's the same thing twice. If you have a continuation of your thought and nobody else has posted yet, just edit your post with the edit button in the bottom right hand corner of your post.

8. nicpen Level 5: Spiny

Official 8-bit sprites here.

The game was Mega Man Xtreme 2, for the Gameboy Colour. Only problem is that because the Colour only has two face buttons, dashing was performed with a double-tap of the d-pad. Good thing SMBC has a special button.

Not only did he double-post, but he's posted the exact same thing three times in one thread...

9. Please Level 8: Hammer Bro

Those would look very out of place in SMBC because of their color.

10. nicpen Level 5: Spiny

Hmm? Sophia is a single colour, and she seems to look just fine.

11. Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Sophia is from a NES game. This Zero is from a GBC game.

12. nicpen Level 5: Spiny

I'm still not understanding how his colours would look "out of place."

13. yerffej Level 5: Spiny

Protoman would be a better fit compared to zero. If you look at all the characters in the game now, they all originated from an NES game, where as Zero was from an SNES game. Plus, the NES had a 64-color palette, whereas the GBC had a 32,768-color palette, so that is why zero would look out of place.

14. uglyrodent Level 10: Bowser

Protoman and Zero are completely different characters; you might as well say a ninja turtle would make more sense than a Battletoad. But I digress.
    I have placed that sprite along other sprites, even withing the Mega Man universe, and it does look wrong. The main offender if the outline; SOPHIA has a black outline, so looks fine, but since Zero has a light outline, and that same color as the darkest in his body, it looks weird. However, Jay has edited other sprites (Bill's hair is different, Samus has an outline, Mega Man's hair gets an outline in Under Ground and Castle levels), so changing Zero's outline would be no big deal. Hell, changing his colors altogether to look like the original Zero is not really that big a change (at most a couple hours). Recolored, the sprite would look fine.

Anyway, I am ALL FOR Zero being in the game. Certainly not the character I'm gunning for the most, but I would still wet myself of sheer excitement if he were announced.

Also, about the changing color thing, I would volunteer to do it if he were in the game. I've already started on it anyway.

15. yerffej Level 5: Spiny

Well, Protoman and Zero are from the Megaman universe. Where as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Battletoads are completely different. The connection made sense in my head at least.

16. Diego Jurado Noboa Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

To be honest, it wouldn't look too out of place.

Once he'd get the mushroom he could have more vibrant colors instead.
    It's not like a single sprite uses all 64 colors at once. The stages uses the rest of the colors.

Having said that.. I still prefer to see other main characters before sidekicks from already represented franchises. Still a lot of NES ground to cover before going to the GBC library, if you ask me.

17. nicpen Level 5: Spiny

I agree, characters who originated from NES games are priority. There's also barely any chance that Jay has ever even played Mega Man Xtreme 2, much less get any nostalgia from it.

18. c2456 Level 6: Lakitu

We're talking about 16-bit zero in SMBC.

19. World 1-1 Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe on Super Mario World Crossover.

20. uglyrodent Level 10: Bowser

I get what you mean. It just popped into my head when I quoted you, I couldn't help typing it.

Doesn't the 8-bit version act just like the 16-bit version? I can't remember; I only played Xtreme for a couple of weeks several years ago. But I think if they act similar, then it wouldn't matter; we could have it in the 8 and 16 bit versions.
    Either way it would be pretty cool.