SMBC Unity Port Cancelled

Discussion in 'General Exploding Rabbit' started by Exploding Rabbit, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Exploding Rabbit Level 13: ER Team
    Staff Member

2. Rey D Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

So basically you're dropping SMBC to focus on Super Retro Squad.
    You're dropping Multiplayer for SMBC, but will still update and add skins to it, and possibly more levels.

I'm not sure that the next versions of Flash will really do what they seem to promise, because last time you said the update would help about the lag, it actually became worse with more crashes and freezes.

Anyway, I don't think that focusing on Super Retro Squad is a bad thing, so the news aren't that bad. :)

Popper and twinAgkistrodon like this.
  3. nintendofan Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I couldn't agree more. As much as I like SMBC, at the moment I'm way more hyped for SRS, so, you saying you will focus more on SRS and will not port SMBC as it would take too much time ,too me at least are good news

4. Anon123 Level 5: Spiny

I remember when you made a post that said this

I don't believe thats entirely true Jay. I think people would still come here without SMBC being a part of the site mostly because with projects like Super Retro Squad and more to come, it will keep us coming back. If you were to give up SMBC tomorrow sure a lot of people would be ticked, disappointed, etc but a lot of people would still support you. I would.

BassWins likes this.
  5. Rey D Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

Wait. If you no longer port to Unity, does that mean the code won't have to be re-written?
    Meaning that the next SMBC update can come sooner?

Yes, but SMBC is the essence, the source, the inspiration, the thing that reminds us what we're here for.
    It's more symbolic than anything.
    Wait. You got it out of its context.
    Jay said thath visites to the websites are mostly thanks to SMBC plays.

twinAgkistrodon likes this.
  6. Anon123 Level 5: Spiny

I mean I love SMBC and yes I came here initially for that. But for me, Exploding Rabbit as a site and community would still be worth coming to even without SMBC. I don't think anyone would let it die just because SMBC wasn't around anymore. SMBC got the name Exploding Rabbit out there. It helped to build this community from the ground up. But now the community is already established. SMBC ultimately fulfilled its purpose. I'm not saying it needs to be thrown away and done with, but what I am saying is that Exploding Rabbit doesn't need to be as dependent on it anymore. Basically, if Jay ever made a decision to abandon it or support it less to make a living making his own IPs, thats ok with me and I think many others would be ok with it. Thats all I was saying.

BassWins and the D like this.
  7. twinAgkistrodon Level 5: Spiny

I want to put this in my sig.
    May I?

This caught my eye when I read the article:

New features=Good.
    Because the only reason SMBC was even going to be ported to Unity was SRS, there never really was any point to it anyway. The game works fine as it is. (although a level editor would complete it. However, I generally find that a level editor means that you're totally finished with the game, so don't make one until SMBC is truly finished.)
    Also, JoyToKey or xpadder works for gamepad support, if you really want it.

8. Rey D Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

Sure, but our visits to the forums probably aren't enough to give enough revenue.
    It's true SMBC isn't made to make revenue, but it does help to keep up the forums.

Actually no. It is explained more in details in the article about it, if you want to know.

9. Anon123 Level 5: Spiny

Well I mean I love Exploding Rabbit as a whole. I'm not a conditional Exploding Rabbit fan. I did come here for Super Mario Bros Crossover. It holds lots of sentimental value for me. But so did Commander Keen, my Grandfather, and a couple of old dogs I owned. Things die eventually and we have to face facts that Jay isn't going to work on Super Mario Bros Crossover for the rest of his life. We can always remember the game and play it, but to grab onto it like a kid who won't let go of his chocolate milk thats been curdling in the sun is silly.

If Jay was to throw up a kickstarter tomorrow to cover forum costs I would be the first to donate and more than happy to do so.

10. Doggy080 Level 0: Newbie

Completely understandable. I, like many others here, am really looking forward to SRS. If you think it's in the best interest, you have my full support!

11. uglyrodent Level 10: Bowser

Everything I want to say has been said better than I could say it myself, but I do have a question.

Is there the potential to get an update just to add some skins soonish?

ZeroXBeoulve and Mitewing like this.
  12. Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I'm greatly saddened, but your decision is understandable. I just hope you guys will find the time to at least add SMBS and LL one day.

13. Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I'm still here. Since I have some experience with the gaming industry I can understand everything. I won't abandon the Exploding Rabbit team because of a canceled port.

14. TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, if I can play SMBC in 16-bit without lag thanks to Flash updates, I don't really need a Unity version. I do think that SMBC has several features it could really use, though, and I'd like it if they were added before you stop working on it.
    Of course, it's entirely possible that after playing SRS for a little while, I'll forget SMBC ever existed.

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. Omicron Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

You can still make SMBC fan-fan-games.

BassWins likes this.
  16. Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

It hit my head and wow I forgot about this. You can still recreate SMBC with another engine if you desire. I would recommend LÖVE.

17. Omicron Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

I have a 80% complete SMBC engine lying around, if anyone cares about Game Maker 8.

Scorpion42 and twinAgkistrodon like this.
  18. Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I could work the community to be the lead director of SMBC. It would be fun to collaborate with this community. It could also teach me things on how to work with a team.

Is this 80% build based off 2.0?

19. MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I'm listening...

Omicron likes this.
  20. Omicron Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

No, and it doesn't have the characters. But the SMB elements are pretty much complete, and adding the characters should be as easy as respriting old ones and changing a few constants. Check out the Sonic Boll thread on my sig, and download version 1.1.9, that's the latest version using this engine. After that i rewrote it.

Also, it supports player-loaded skinning.

twinAgkistrodon likes this.