Ultimate Speedrun

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by uglyrodent, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Captain Knight Level 9: Spike Top

Jesus Christ, I hate that I use custom controls, and sometimes Simon, Link, Samus, and Bill don't jump.

I should use MM for his slide -.-

EDIT! : What the fucking ass tacos, MM can't jump on a high platform on 2-2 with High Jump on!

That is fucking bullshit. I'm reporting this.

2. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I've decided to share some helpful tips for those attempting this challenge. Enjoy!

Tips and Advice for The Ultimate Speedrun Challenge

• Pay attention to the clock. If the time ends with a 1, a 3, or a 6 when you finish the level, you get fireworks, which takes up time. Also, easier difficulties give you more time on the clock, which means it takes longer for your time to drain and rack up your points at the end of a level. (Optional: Use the Infinite Time cheat to avoid any time-related slow-downs.)
    • Choose your difficulty wisely. The Super Easy difficulty makes most enemies die in a single hit, and blocks are destroyed in one hit as well. If using the Infinite Time cheat, Super Easy is the way to go. Otherwise, you will want a higher difficulty for less time on the clock.
    • Don't get power-ups. It takes time to power-up your character, and since you're just running through enemies anyway, your character doesn't need to be more powerful. Some characters can make use of power-ups, however, and therefore it is worth taking a couple of seconds to power-up in order to save many seconds later on. For example, Mega Man can make excellent use of his charge shot in some places to remove many bricks in his way. Likewise, it might be helpful to grab the spread gun with Bill Rizer in order to clear bricks away quickly when necessary. Consider your difficulty, though. If it's an easier difficulty and it would be faster in the long run for your character to kill Bowser rather than grab the axe and wait for the bridge to disappear and for Bowser to fall in, then take the time to grab power-ups. Make sure you can get them in such a way that doing so doesn't interfere with your route, though.
    • Take advantage of your character's special abilities. While not all of the characters have anything useful, some of them do. Ryu's wall-climbing can be used to get to the top of 1-2 and 4-2 right from the beginning of the stage, and therefore you can avoid trying to maneuver through enemies and platforms. SOPHIA's hover can be invaluable in some places, as can her quick jump off of walls. Make use of these abilities!
    • Practice the levels. Make use of the level select cheat in order to practice levels repeatedly. Practicing can help you find the best routes and strategies for getting through the level as quickly as possible. It can also help you get better at avoiding places in the level where you normally die. While dying is technically allowed in the run, I personally would start over if I died (unless it was in 8-4 or something else late in the game).
    • Utilize secret areas. There are some secret areas that take you much further in the level, and therefore are worth taking. An example of this is the secret in 1-1. It skips the entire middle section of the level, saving a lot of time. Be sure to practice each level to determine which secrets are useful, though. Some of them send you back, and some only send you one or two pipes over. Same for the coin heavens. Make sure the amount of time it takes to activate the vine, climb the vine, and reach the end of coin heaven is worth it.
    • Try to avoid killing enemies/grabbing coins unnecessarily. Practicing the levels can help show you which enemies to kill and which to avoid. While you technically don't have to kill any enemies at all, it can be fun to kill some enemies along the way to help the entertainment value of your run (if you're recording). Some enemies are placed in such a way that killing them might slow you down, however, so be sure to know which you can kill and which you should avoid. This goes for coins as well. Sometimes jumping for coins will cause you to run into a wall or a pipe before you land, and this slows you down. Only go for coins you know you can get without slowing yourself down.
    • Have fun with it! If you record your runs, make sure they look good and are entertaining. Don't simply run straight through levels in a boring manner. Even if you're not recording, for personal enjoyment, have some fun trying and doing fancy things. You might even find some time-saving tricks this way!
    I hope these tips help! :)

3. Captain Knight Level 9: Spike Top

OH YES! I WIN THIS ROUND!

Character : Sophia III

Cheats : Invincible and Infinite Time

Time : 27 minutes 13 seconds 53 milliseconds

Phew! What a rush!

4. Rey D Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

Mode: Single Character Super easy
    Character: Mega Man
    Cheats activated: Invincible, Classic Screen Scroll until 4-2

I lost a lot of time dying reapeatly (I almost gamed over in 8-4) and a great waste because I accidently went to the warp zone at the end of 4-2. I had to pause and desactivate the Classic Screeen Scroll Cheat and destroy a lot of blocks... and then, there's was no way to get back because Mega Man couldn't destroy the blocks above and there's was just a hole in front of me.
    I started time as I chose Mega Man.

Time stop, when "Your quest is over" began to scroll for the credits: 31:58:35

5. Captain Knight Level 9: Spike Top

NEW RECORD!

Character : Sophia III

Cheats : Invincible and Infinite Time

Time : 27 minutes 1 seconds 56 milliseconds

I died in 8-2 cuz I had no more hover power...

I seriously broke a sweat after I died. This is so fun...

6. aliceandsven Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

Guys...

Don't take this the wrong way, but wouldn't it be better if we posted videos of our runs? I come here every day seeing these awesome new records, I look for the video link to watch you all kick some ass but alas... 404 video not found.

It's also very easy to just lie if you don't have proof

7. Captain Knight Level 9: Spike Top

I don't know about the others, but there's no way for me to record my Speedrun. I wish I could, and if I could, Alice, I would.

If I would cheat, I would've posted me having a 25 minute speedrun. Even though we could cheat, I think we're good enough people to post what we REALLY had.

But of course, I'm the first one to argue against Alice.

EDIT! NEW RECORD!

26:22.05

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

8. Rey D Level 11: Moderator
    Staff Member

You're sure right, but I hope there's no bad guys lying around there. Geez, don't lie, guys.
    In fact, I have no capture device to record a video of my speedrun, so... And my record 31:58:35 is also just too bad to be a lie, right?

9. pokemondream Level 5: Spiny

mario invincble 31 min

10. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Has anyone tried Samus? I just did (not timing, just testing/practicing), and while she's not very fast, she's a lot of fun to play as because of her great maneuverability. I recommend trying her out. I also recommend getting the power-ups for her, just to make the run a bit more interesting.

EDIT: I've done a run with Samus, and I recorded it! I'll post the videos as soon as they are ready.

11. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Forgive the double post, but I felt this deserved a new post.

First, here are the specifics of my Samus run.

Time: 00:28:18
    Mode: Single Character ~ Samus Aran
    Difficulty: Super Easy
    Cheats: Infinite Time, Invincible

Now behold, I present the two-part Ultimate Speedrun Challenge (USRC) using Samus Aran! :D

The quality isn't perfect, but it is still very watchable. My computer is not equipped to do extensive high-quality video recording. Also, enjoy the music. :)

(The specifics of the music used can be found on the video descriptions on Youtube.)

Anon421 likes this.
  12. Nocturne Level 0: Newbie

Woah, We got ourselves a pro :p

13. Captain Knight Level 9: Spike Top

Thanks man!

Although I am not a pro, my score is still pretty good! The best so far :p

14. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Hmm...I thought he was referring to me with my videos. In any case, though, you do have the best time so far. While I certainly acknowledge that, I will say that since each character plays differently, I personally count each character's best time differently. So, your best time is held with SOPHIA, and thus, IMO, you have the best SOPHIA time, not necessarily the best overall (even though technically it is the best overall so far :p). My best time is held with Ryu, but I also have a best Samus time. :)

15. Captain Knight Level 9: Spike Top

That was kinda my joke about it. I KNEW he was talking to you, so I just took the chance

That is pretty fair I guess.

The thing is, it's practically us 2 only competing, so it kinda sucks :(

16. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I thought you might be joking (I noticed the :p emoticon), hence my tentativeness (or at least intended tentativeness).

It does pretty much suck that it's only two of us who are competing. I don't even have much time right now to be doing a bunch of runs either. I want to record them now, since I discovered how to, but while it takes less than half an hour to record, it takes a good couple of hours or so of formatting the video and uploading it, and I definitely don't have that kind of time right now.

17. aliceandsven Level 12: Super Mod
    Staff Member

Does the youtube video duration thing count as a timer?

18. Captain Knight Level 9: Spike Top

I'd say no, because the timer should stop when you touch the final axe, and he included when he walks up to Peach.

Although on RARE occasions, the video instantly stops and starts when the timer does.

19. sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Recording videos is an excellent way of timing yourself. I timed my Samus video by simply looking at how long the video was from the beginning of the 1-1 level card to the final axe in 8-4.

EDIT: I just noticed the first part of my two-part run has nearly twice as many views as the second part. Apparently people are getting bored with the run about halfway through. :p I don't blame them, though. Samus isn't the most dynamic character. She's great fun to play as, but watching her run through the game isn't super exciting like it would be with a character like Ryu, or Mega Man, or SOPHIA III.

20. Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Aren't speedruns usually done without cheating?