This is the first post of the Super Retro Crossover development log. More info here.
Collision detection currently supports axis aligned bounding boxes only. Basic gravity and movement implemented. Basic animation. This is where things are now.
Last time we spoke, I talked about porting Super Mario Bros. Crossover to HTML5. I learned a lot while working on that, but it started to not make sense because I could write new clean code faster than I could rewrite old bad code. I ended up really liking the Haxe language and the workflow I was using, and because of all the platforms it supports, I realized I could use it to fulfill the requirements of the Super Retro Squad Kickstarter. From this point on, I will refer to that game once again as Super Retro Squad (not Super Action Squad), but we will consider it a code name because it’s hard to say at this point what the game will ultimately end up being.
Ever since my bad experience trying to make a 2D platformer in Unity, I’ve been looking for a different solution. It turns out the best thing for me is to write my own game engine in Haxe, so that’s what I’ve been doing for the last month. It’s far enough along now that things can move around on screen and collisions are working. It’s close to being at the same place I was with Super Retro Squad when I put it on hold, (shown in this video) although I will not be implementing slopes just yet and there are still some rendering issues. The engine should be able to export to Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and HTML5, although I am only testing on Mac and HTML5 while developing it. Also, I’m no longer developing using OpenFL. I’m currently using Lime, which is lower level. I also have my eye on Snow.
I’ve grown frustrated due to not releasing something for a long time, so I’ve decided to make a small fan game as I develop my game engine. You can consider it the fan version of Super Retro Squad. It will take about 5 to 10 minutes to play through, and it will only be playable in the browser. Fan games are easy to make because I don’t have to worry about creating graphics or sound, and people enjoy them a lot. Super Retro Squad and the fan game run on the same engine and share the same code.
The fan game will have a story with a small amount of dialog and cutscenes, and it will take place within the worlds of Super Mario Bros, Metroid, and Castlevania. I’m starting a public development log for the game on the Exploding Rabbit Tumblr page. The tumblr page was created as a development log for Super Retro Squad, but that didn’t quite work out. I’ve tried to do development logs before, but this time I’m keeping it super simple. There will be animated gifs, screen shots, and text. That is all. This fan game will be referred to as Super Retro Crossover. I expect it to take 3 to 4 months to complete, but as I’m sure you know, these things are difficult to predict.
I hope that clears everything up with my plans for now and the future. This is much closer to the original plan back when the Kickstarter was launched, because we were supposed to be developing Super Mario Bros. Crossover and Super Retro Squad on the same engine. Now, I’m developing Super Retro Crossover and Super Retro Squad together, and I have much more experience and better tools. Also, if it wasn’t clear, the SMBC port to HTML5 is canceled and will most likely not be resumed at any point in the future.
That’s it! Follow the tumblr page for development updates. I’m hoping this development log will help to satisfy people that were excited to see the development log of Super Retro Squad before we put it on hold.
Jay talks about what’s been happening and demonstrates a work-in-progress port of SMBC to HTML5.
Early on, you should decide on a game unit that is simple and intuitive.
I implemented sprite flipping in the level editor and game engine. The image above shows flipping on hill. Those are both the same sprite. I also built the first level of Super Mario Bros. There is a toad there because the story takes place after Mario beats Bowser, so he has freed the toads. Speaking of that… does […]
Switched to using one collider per tile to make it quicker to build levels. The sides that are in red are ignored so they still behave properly. For comparison, this is how colliders looked before. They are bigger, so they’re more efficient, but it takes longer to make them. I’ll probably eventually have something […]